Monthly public board meetings are normally scheduled for 6:00 P.M. on the third Wednesday of each month (subject to occasional schedule changes), in the library of The Vanguard School high school building, 1605 S. Corona Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80905. Members of our school community are welcome to attend.
March 20, 2024
** Public Session: 6:00 P.M.**
Location: The Vanguard Library
April 17, 2024
May 15, 2024
June 12, 2024
To view the minutes from previous Vanguard School board meetings, click on the link to the right labeled “Board Meeting Minutes.”
Public Participation at School Board Meetings
Board Meeting agendas do not include open comments from attendees. For individuals who would like to bring an issue or comment to the Board during the public session, the Board asks that the individual send an email to the Board the week prior to the public session so that it can be reviewed.
All issues concerning school policy should first be worked through the building principal and administration prior to coming to the Board. You may access the complete policy (Policy BEDH: Public Participation at School Board Meetings) on our website by clicking here.
To contact the Board, please click on the Board email link below:
The members of the Vanguard Board of Directors for the 2023-2024 school year are:
- Rene’ Chatham
- Tracy Coons
- Matt Hughes
- Eric Koppisch
- Kurt Peters
You may view board member biographies by clicking here.
For more information about the board, including its governing documents and resources, please click here.
Working sessions of the board are held at 5:00 P.M. on the evening of the public session and on the first Wednesday of each month from 5:00 P.M. – 7:30 P.M. in the Vanguard Conference Room. These meetings are used to plan, review policies, facility issues, staffing, etc.
Board Composition and Elections - General Information
The Vanguard School Board of Directors is a governing board consisting of five voting members. The composition of the Board of Directors is as follows:
- Four of the Directors must be parents or legal guardians who have enrolled at The Vanguard School 50% or more of their children who are eligible to attend.
- The remaining Director shall either have no eligible children or have 50% or more of his eligible children enrolled at The Vanguard School.
- These Directors may continue to run for successive terms after their children have graduated.
The focus of the Board is to:
- Uphold the school’s mission and vision.
- Provide financial oversight ensuring the maintenance of adequate resources.
- Ensure the school is operating legally and ethically.
- Enhance the school’s public standing.
- Monitor and strengthen programs and services.
- Support and evaluate the school’s executive director.
All candidates for the governing board must have attended the entire public session of at least three board meetings in the twelve months preceding the election prior to the April date of candidate verification for eligibility.
NOTE: Individuals who are interested in running for the Board of Directors for the 2024-25 school year should adhere to the Board Election Schedule for 2024-25 found HERE.
Annual elections are held during May of each school year. Governing board members are elected by a vote of the parents for staggered five-year terms. The seat of Rene’ Chatham will be up for election in May 2024.
The seats of the other board members will be up for election as follows:
- Matt Hughes 2025
- Kurt Peters 2026
- Eric Koppisch 2027
- Tracy Coons 2028
The board encourages those interested in running for a board seat to familiarize themselves with the following materials:
- Why Johnny Can’t Tell Right from Wrong by William Kilpatrick
- The Schools We Need: And Why We Don’t Have Them by E. D. Hirsch
- “Waiting for Superman” (movie)
- The Great Conversation – Volume I, Robert M. Hutchins, Editor
- A Proper Understanding of K-12 Education (Hillsdale College)